Linkedin is a professional network. The whole idea is to make connections for business / professional reasons. More the number of connections, the more the reach of a person.
Some people boast of 5K+, 10K+, connections when it is a scientific fact that we are unable to maintain meaningful associations beyond a few 100s People are connected to each other wherein there is no personal equation. I am sure there barring the time one connected there will be connections where one would not even have exchanged a single message with each other!!!!!
Additionally, such connections rarely revert when one really wants to reach out to them for help/assistance (there will be some exceptions as always) Here are some basic rules (not exhaustive by any means!!!!) to start off with
1. Connect with people one knows well
2. It is always good to stay connected with like-minded professionals.
3. No need to connect with people one does not like. They are in any case not going to be any assistance otherwise as well.
4. When one wants to connect with a person for a specific reason it is better to state the agenda upfront rather than “I want to connect” statement.
5. Once the connection is established – it is paramount to keep it active.
6. Do not spam the connections.
7. Do share relevant content – better still if one can share original content
8. Remember the 3Rs – Recent, Reliable, Relevant. If the content one wants to share does not pass this test better be really selective in sharing it on professional networks.
9. If someone approaches show courtesy by at least reverting – even if one is unable to assist. The worst thing one can do is give “Dead Air”
10. Last but not least – do prune your list regularly. No need to stay connected to people who don’t appreciate your time/connection.
As I said this list is by no means exhaustive…..feel free to add, delete……Value add!!!! Happy Connecting